Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs | Book Review

Hollow City
Ransom Riggs


Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, YA
Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2
Publication Date: 14 January 2014
Number of Pages: 352
Source: Purchased
My Rating: 

The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience.

NOTE: This review will have some spoilers from the first book!

Hollow City picks up almost immediately after Miss Peregrine's left off. The kids recaptured Miss Peregrine and head out to find other ymbrynes, a new loop, and safety. The book is packed with action and even more pictures than the first and I absolutely loved it.

I can easily say that I enjoyed Hollow City much more than the first book and I think that's because it jumps right into the action and I already understood the world and what was happening. I didn't have as much of a connection to the characters in the first book, probably for the same reasons. Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children introduces such a new world with new rules that it just takes a while to get used to. I think if I reread the first book now I would enjoy it way more than the first time I read it.

One of the best parts about this book for me was the characters, they are all so unique and intriguing. I love Millard and Emma and, yes, even Enoch. Being able to give them such a diversity of talents as well as defining them personality wise just makes the story so much more interesting.

As I mentioned earlier this world is just so unique and it really helps this book stand out from the others. The addition of all the old pictures along with the strange, new world is just cool. It's also fun to think about where the real origin of all these pictures are. Because as fitting as these pictures are to the book, they came from somewhere and were taken years and years ago for some reason.

All in all I give Hollow City a 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. I think I might have given it a 4.75 out of 5 if I could do halves and quarters, but I round. It gets 5 out of 5. Absolutely loved this story and can't wait for the third book!

No comments:

Post a Comment